Primary Preventive Dentistry
- 8th Ed.
- © Pearson Education, Inc.
- Christine Nielsen Nathe RDH, MS; Franklin Garcia-Godoy, DDS, MS, FICD; Norman O. Harris, DDS, MSD, FACD
- ISBN-10: 0-13-284570-9 / ISBN-13: 978-0-13-284570-0
- Dentistry, Dental Hygiene
Organized for consistency, coherence, and readability, this fully updated text covers all areas of prevention in dental care. Primary Preventive Dentistry, 8th Edition first describes dental diseases and conditions, helping students clearly understand the processes that can be prevented through the use of preventive modalities or ideas. Next, it presents detailed strategies to prevent these diseases and conditions. Throughout, specific target populations are defined and described based upon scientifically valid preventive strategies aimed at their needs. This edition improves student understanding with more photos, illustrations, diagrams, and tables; highlights “fun facts” about the topic; adds a new chapter on the important influence culture plays in preventive dental care; and is supported by many new web-based review questions and case studies for each chapter.
- • Helps prepare students for all aspects of preventive care. Thoroughly covers all preventive care strategies, modalities, and ideas, including tooth brushing, dentifrices, toothpastes and mouthrinses, oral hygiene aids, fluorides, dental sealants, nutrition, mouthguards, tobacco cessation, and theories of health education and promotion.
- • Provides extensive interactive experience. Contains self-study questions after every chapter, supported by a website with additional exercises and case studies.
- • Helps students understand the relationships between prevention, urgent, and restorative care. Opens with a complete unit that places prevention in the broader context of dental and health care, and thoroughly introduces the assessment, diagnostic and therapeutic sciences of dental care.
- • Prepares students to recognize oral disease etiology and contributing risk factors. Includes easy-to-understand chapters on plaque, dental caries, periodontal disease, oral cancer, dental trauma and host mechanisms, with discussions of the etiology of each dental disease.
- • Helps students prevent dental disease and maintain health in several key target populations. Includes coverage of dental health and prevention in infants, children, individuals with medical conditions and/or diseases, older adults, and hospitalized individuals; as well as key information on public health approaches to prevention.
New To This Edition:Thoroughly updated to support faster and more intuitive learning, with new visuals, additional realistic case studies, “Did You Know” fun facts, improved organization, and additional web resources
- • New! Full chapter on the influence of culture in preventive health care—helps students more fully support the needs of diverse patient communities
- • Expanded and improved!Contains more photos, illustrations, diagrams, and tables—supports visual and intuitive learning, and promotes more rapid comprehension
- • New! “Did You Know” Concepts features—illuminate “fun facts” and promote student interest
- • Improved! More self-study questions at the end of each chapter—promote deeper understanding of practical considerations, greater mastery, and more student confidence
- • Enhanced! Companion website adds new case studies and exercises—helps students gain a more realistic understanding of key concepts and theories
- • Improved! Reorganized coverage of target populations—offers faster access to information about diseases, manifestations, and preventive strategies for each population
Specialty Score: 2.33 Health Sciences - Dentistry
Go to Doody's Review page
For all introductory, clinical, and preventive courses in dental hygiene and dental assisting that cover preventive dental modalities and concepts.