Foundations of Nursing Research
- 6th Ed.
- © Pearson Education, Inc.
- Rose Marie Nieswiadomy, PhD, RN
- ISBN-10: 0-13-211857-2 / ISBN-13: 978-0-13-275623-5
- Nursing, Evidence Based Medicine
For use as a primary text in undergraduate nursing research courses, and as a resource text for more advanced nursing research courses.
This engaging, learner-friendly text illuminates all steps of the nursing research process, helping students critique research and determine whether study findings are ready to apply in practice. To illustrate specific aspects of the research process, the author extensively excerpts from published studies, including research performed outside the U.S. Pedagogical features include chapter outlines, objectives, definitions of key terms, summaries, class activities, and self-tests. This Sixth Edition has been revised with up-to-date information and references throughout; more coverage of both quantitative and qualitative research; greater focus on evidence-based practice; and an all-new chapter on nursing research and health care economics.
- • Concise, thorough, readable, and exceptionally learner-friendly–taking the fear out of research, and helping students critique studies and decide whether to use them
- • Helps students become interested in research, empowering them to evaluate it — and possibly even perform it
- • Excerpts from 85 nursing research studies drawn from 60 nursing journals–including recent studies conducted by nurses in the U.S. and around the world
- • Helps students more clearly understand both research concepts and the entire research process
- • "Get Involved" Activities–including structured simulations that challenge students to collaborate realistically with other students or colleagues
- • Helps students experience the process of conducting, assessing, and utilizing nursing research
- • More than 300 terms, with clear definitions–demystifying the language of research by presenting all new terms in bold, and clearly defining them on first reference
- • Makes sure students immediately understand all new terminology
- • Non-threatening self-tests after first 19 chapters–providing an opportunity for students to evaluate their mastery; most &answers are provided at the back of the book
- • Enables students to reinforce and review the material they've just studied
- • Up-to-the-minute coverage of Web-based research techniques–including new examples of Internet megasearch engines, coverage of all four online CINAHL databases, the free Clinical Trials online database, and information on accessing OJIN
- • Guides students in intelligently utilizing the growing amount of online information available to them, and in finding quality information sources that can be relied upon
- • Online MyNursingKit.com resources linked to the book's chapters–including chapter-specific modules containing online nursing research links, critical thinking activities, online games, and more
- • Gives students more personal interaction to extend and deepen their knowledge
New to this Edition:
- • New! All new chapter on nursing research and healthcare economics—introducing and explaining key terms and concepts ranging from derived demand to marginal benefits
- • Helps nurses clearly understand the financial value of the services they offer, and communicate that value more effectively to colleagues and stakeholders
- • Updated! Fully revised to reflect the latest trends, research, and techniques—including revised end-of-chapter summaries, self-test questions, Get Involved Activities, and Internet references
- • Gives students an up-to-date understanding of the entire field of nursing research
- • New! Includes all-new appendix on critiquing research studies—providing a reference to a recent research article in a clinical nursing journal, with specific questions to use in evaluating it
- • Empowers students to objectively evaluate research studies, now and in the future.
- • New! Includes new discussion of online surveys
- • Shows students how one of today's most common research tools is being used, and helps them evaluate its effectiveness
- • Expanded! Contains more coverage of both quantitative and qualitative research—including studies performed both within the U.S. and around the world
- • Gives students a broader understanding of nursing research, as well as access to important studies that U.S.-only publications miss
From the Back Cover:
This sixth edition of Foundations of Nursing Research provides an engaging and user-friendly introduction to this important subject area for nurses. The goal of this text is to provide accurate, highly readable chapters that enable students to understand the steps of the nursing research process and encourages students to apply a critical thinking approach to nursing research. This edition provides more coverage of both quantitative and qualitative research and includes extensive references to current nursing research studies, which appear throughout the book.