Wound Management: Principles and Practice
- 3rd Ed.
- © Pearson Education, Inc.
- Betsy A. Myers MHS, MPT, OCS
- ISBN-10: 0-13-139524-6 / ISBN-13: 978-0-13-139524-4
- Physical Therapy, Nursing
This is the most complete, up-to-date wound management learning resource for clinicians and students. It first reviews the basic science of wound care, including normal tissue anatomy, wound healing, and factors that adversely affect healing. Next, it covers examinations and interventions for patients with open wounds, including holistic patient management. It then focuses on specific wound types, including arterial and venous insufficiency ulcers, pressure ulcers, neuropathic ulcers, and burns. Pedagogical tools include: key terms, chapter objectives, tables, figures, photographs, checkpoint and review questions, extensive documentation practice, and detailed case studies. This edition is extensively updated for current research and practice, and adds new coverage of lymphedema and billing/documentation, as well as a new website containing many new learning resources.
• Key terms and chapter objectives—preparing students for the material that follows throughout the chapter
• Provides helpful information for focusing reading, and for self-study to check understanding
• Numerous tables, figures, and photographs—highlighting crucial information and creating links between concepts and actual patients
• Provides intuitive, visual information for visual learners
• Checkpoint questions—posing clinically relevant questions throughout each chapter
• Helps students ensure that they understand each set of concepts before moving forward
• Review questions— at the end of each chapter
• Helps students check their understanding and strengthen mastery
• Examples of effective, concise documentation—providing documentation models students can use to develop their own patient documentation
• Helps students create more accurate, concise, and usable documentation
• Detailed case studies—give students the opportunity to apply knowledge of knowledge of basic science, examination, and interventions in creating holistic plans of care for patients with open wounds
• Gives students realistic, extremely valuable practice with developing wound management plans
New To This Edition:
• Updated! Revised throughout–to reflect the latest research and practice
• Gives students the up-to-date information they need to care for wounds as effectively as possible
• New! Includes new chapter on lymphedema
• Enables students to recognize and care for lymphedema and its symptoms
• New! Contains new appendix on billing and documentation
• Helps students prepare for the office-related aspects of wound management
• Expanded! New website–containing access to images of most pathologies covered within the text including open wounds, lymphedema, and dermatological conditions; as well as chapter-by-chapter video clips presenting key information and demonstrations of proper procedural performance
• Gives students state-of-the-art video and interactive tools for hands-on learning
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This is a valuable addition for experienced clinicians, entry-level PT and PTA students, and educators."
-- Barbara Billek-Sawhney, PT, EdD, GCS (Slippery Rock University) previous edition
For physical therapy education programs covering wound management; and for clinicians (including PT, PTA, OT, and nursing) involved in treating patients with — or at risk for — open wounds or lymphedema.