Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications
- 6th Ed.
- © F. A. Davis Company
- Anne M. Van Leeuwen MA, BS, MT (ASCP); Mickey Lynn Bladh RN, MSN
- ISBN-10: 0-8036-4405-1 / ISBN-13: 978-0-8036-4405-2
- eISBN-13: 978-0-8036-4483-0
- Nursing, Diagnosis, Laboratory & Diagnosis, Point of Care
The information nurses need... when, where, and how they need it!
Nursing-focused and easy-to-read, this handbook delivers all of the information you need to understand how tests work, interpret their results, and provide quality patient care—pre-test, intra-test, and post-test.
Tests and procedures are listed in alphabetical order by their complete name for quick reference. The integrated index allows fast searches by abbreviation, synonym, disease/disorder, specimen type, or test classification. Plus, a Body Systems Appendix includes a list of common laboratory and diagnostic tests for each body system as well as nutrition-related lab tests.
- • ‘Common Use’ for each monograph to provide an at-a-glance description of what the test is for, presented in everyday language that patients will understand.
- • Monographs that focus on what you need to do before, during, and after each laboratory and diagnostic test.
- • Patient Teaching.
- • Detailed coverage of patient safety.
- • “Sensitivity to Social and Cultural Issues” and “Nutritional Considerations,” where appropriate.
- • Diagnostic imaging monographs with explanations of the reasons for the test result.
- • Pathophysiology information that explains why a lab test result is increased or decreased.
- • Reference Ranges that are expressed in both conventional and SI units (with the SI unit conversion factor) and include age- and gender-specific variations when indicated and normal variations due to cultural considerations.
- • Interfering Factors, including food, natural products, timing of test, handling of specimen, underlying patient conditions, and drugs that may interfere with the results of the test.
- • Full-color tube top guide.
- • Unique coverage of laboratory and diagnostic tests for subspecialties, such as maternity, therapeutic drug monitoring, nutrition and sensory.
- • Cross referencing of related lab and diagnostic tests in every monograph.
- • "Body System" appendix that includes therapeutic drug monitoring and toxicology and nutrition-related lab tests.
New to this edition:
- • Revised, updated & expanded!
- • The most current information throughout.
- • New monographs, Genetic Testing and Bioterrorism and Public Health Safety Concerns: Testing for Toxins and Infectious Agents.
- • Group monograph for molecular diagnosis.
- • Expanded and enhanced!
- • Nursing Implications sections reflects all phases of the nursing process.
- • Potential Diagnosis section includes a description of findings.
- • Age-specific information in diagnostic studies, where available
- • New sections in each monograph!
- • Expected Patient Outcomes focusing on safe and effective nursing care.
- • Potential Nursing Problems with related signs, symptoms, suggested interventions.
- • Study-specific complications, where applicable.
- • Study-specific contraindications, where applicable.
- • Disease Spotlight case studies.
- • Monographs for new approved tests, and much more.
Essential Purchase Title (EPT)
Specialty Score: 2.87 Nursing - Laboratory
Go to Doody's Review page
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"There are many diagnostic and laboratory books but few are as comprehensive as this one."
-- Carole Kenner, RNC, DNS, FAAN (University of Oklahoma College of Nursing) Doody's Review - a previous edition