Nurse's Role in Medication Safety, The
- 2nd Ed.
- © Joint Commission Resources
- Laura Cima R.N., B.S.N., M.B.A., N.E.A.- B.C., F.A.C.H.E.; Sean Clarke R.N., Ph.D., F.A.A.N.
- ISBN-10: 1-59940-618-7 / ISBN-13: 978-1-59940-724-1
- Nursing, Patient Safety and Quality Improvement , Point of Care
Written especially for nurses in all disciplines and health care settings, The Nurses's Role in Medication Safety focuses on the hands-on role nurses play in the delivery of care and their unique opportunity and responsibility to identify potential medication safety issues. It provides nurses with practical strategies and real-life examples to improve medication safety in their health care organizations.
Reflecting the contributions of several dozen nurses who provided new and updated content, this book includes strategies, examples, and advice on how to:
- • Develop effective medication reconciliation processes
- • Identify and address causes of medication errors
- • Encourage the reporting of medication errors in a safe and just culture
- • Apply human factors solutions to medication management issues and the implementation of programs to reduce medication errors
- • Use technology (such as smart pumps and computerized provider order entry) to improve medication safety
- • Recognize the special issues of medication safety in disciplines such as obstetrics, pediatrics, geriatrics, and oncology and within program settings beyond large urban hospitals, including long term care, behavioral health care, critical access hospitals, and ambulatory care and office-based surgery
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This is a needed and worthwhile resource for nurse managers and clinical nurses."
-- Kathleen Woodruff, RN, MS, CRNP (Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing) Doody's Review - previous edition
The book is written for clinical nurses, nurse managers, and nursing students, as well as other colleagues in other disciplines. The contributing authors are experienced in developing strategies to improve medication safety, such as nurse experts and nurse researchers in the field of medication administration and patient safety.