- 1st Ed.
- © Oncology Nursing Society
- Julia Eggert PhD, APRN-BC, GNP, AOCN®
- 1-890504-90-4 / 978-1890504-90-8
- Oncology, Nursing
From the foundations of cancer to issues of survivorship, this new textbook edited by Julie Eggert will provide you with all the details and information you need to gain a true understanding of the “basics” of cancer.
Written for nurses new to oncology and non-nursing professionals who are working in the specialty, Cancer Basics is a perfect resource for training and education.
If you are looking for a primer on a wide variety of topics related to the disease, Cancer Basics is a reference you’ll want to add to your nursing library.
• Foundations, with chapters on the biology of cancer, staging and performance status, cancer epidemiology and prevention, genetic risk for developing cancer, cancer detection measures, and cultural differences in cancer care
• Treatment Options, featuring chapters on pharmacogenomics in the oncology setting, surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, biologics and targeted therapy, hormonal therapy, clinical trials, complementary and alternative medicine, and transplantation
• Symptom Management, with chapters detailing alopecia, cardiac and pulmonary toxicity, cognitive changes, dermatologic complications of cancer chemotherapies, gastrointestinal symptoms, genitourinary symptoms, hematologic issues, hepatic toxicities, hypersensitivity, pain, and peripheral neuropathy
• Issues for Cancer Survivors and Their Families, with chapters highlighting sexual and reproductive issues, developmental life stage issues for consideration in cancer care, psychosocial issues, caring for the adult childhood cancer survivor, and ethical issues