Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice
- 2nd Ed.
- © Demos Medical Publishing, LLC
- Douglas I. Katz MD; Nathan D. Zasler MD; Ross D. Zafonte DO
- ISBN-10: 1-936287-27-7 / ISBN-13: 978-1-936287-27-7
- Physical Medicine, Nursing
Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice, 2nd Edition is a clear and comprehensive guide to all aspects of the management of traumatic brain injury-from early diagnosis and evaluation through the post-acute period and rehabilitation. An essential reference for physicians and other health care professionals who work with brain injured patients, the book focuses on assessment and treatment of the wider variety of clinical problems these patients face and addresses many associated concerns such as epidemiology, ethical issues, legal issues, and life-care planning. Written by over 190 acknowledged leaders, the text covers the full spectrum of the practice of brain injury medicine including principles of neural recovery, neuroimaging and neurodiagnostic testing, prognosis and outcome, acute care, rehabilitation, treatment of specific populations, neurologic and other medical problems following injury, cognitive and behavioral problems, post-traumatic pain disorders, pharmacologic and alternative treatments, and community reentry and productivity.
Key features include:
- • The acknowledged gold standard reference-brings together knowledge, experience, and evidence-based medicine
- • Comprehensive and current-completely revised, updated, and expanded to include emerging topics and the latest clinicaland research advances
- • Multi-disciplinary focus-expert authorship from a wide range of specialties promotes a holistic team approach to a complex, many-faceted condition
- • Covers the entire continuum of care from early diagnosis and assessment through acute management, rehabilitation, associated medical and quality of life issues, and functional outcomes
New to this Edition:
- • Three new Associate Editors from related disciplines provide added expertise
- • Five new sections: acute rehabilitative care, pediatric TBI, special senses, autonomic and other organ system problems, post-trauma pain disorders
- • 25 new chapters running the gamut from health policy to biomechanics, to military TBI to pediatric issues and more
- • Print + Digital Access: Purchase price includes enhanced e-book containing the complete and fully searchable text plus additional digital-only content
Essential Purchase Title (EPT)
Specialty Score: 2.8 Health Sciences - Neurology; 2.36 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Go to Doody's Review page
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"...A 'go-to' reference for any clinician treating individuals with brain injury... The editors have assembled a single resource for physiatrists, neurologists, psychiatrists, therapists, nurses, psychologists, and other medical specialists, as well as for legal professionals and patient advocates. A medical condition of this magnitude and scope requires the thoughtful and wide-ranging coverage this text provides. It will quickly become the authoritative desk reference sought by clinicians practicing brain injury medicine."
-- The New England Journal of Medicine, May 31, 2007 Doody's Review - previous edition
The target audience is "clinical practitioners..., students and trainees learning about TBI, and other professionals who need to learn more about TBI and its management."