Foundations in Patient Safety for Health Professionals
- © Jones and Bartlett Publishers
- Karen A. Paschal PT, DPT, MS; Kimberly A. Galt RPh, PharmD, FASHP
- ISBN-10: 0-7637-6338-1 / ISBN-13: 978-0-7637-6338-1
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement , Nursing
Covering a wide range of health care disciplines, Foundations in Patient Safety for Health Professionals is a practical, comprehensive guide to creating a culture of safety in health care settings. Developed by faculty members in bioethics, business, dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, and social work, this introductory textbook presents the history of safety and the core concepts of patient safety.
This important resource features a patient-centered approach within a practice-based context. Written in a straightforward style, it uses personal and professional stories to illustrate the application of safety principles. Modules and case-based exercises help students learn the importance of safety best practices and quality improvements.
- • A comprehensive guide to establishing an effective patient safety culture
- • Based on an interprofessional course on the foundations of patient safety
- • Presents the background and need for safety improvement
- • Prepares students to incorporate safety principles in their own health care practice
- • Illustrates safety principles with enlightening personal and professional stories
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"Foundations in Patient Safety for Health Professionals is a great resource for teaching health care professionals who need to know how to find the best practices for “when things go wrong”. This text teaches students how to address health care delivery from the point of view of the patient, for the patient’s safety. This book is a must-read for all sectors of the health care industry. The passion and expertise of this set of Creighton faculty show through in this text. I applaud each member for their drive to turn their personal stories into a teaching opportunity that could change how health care services are delivered in our country."
-- Dennis Berens, Director, Nebraska Office of Rural Health, President, National Rural Health Association
Foundations of Patient Safety for Health Professionals is ideal as a basic introductory text on patient safety and health care quality improvement for graduate and undergraduate courses across the health professions, nursing, and health administration. Practicing health care professionals will also find this book to be a valuable resource.