Evaluation and Testing in Nursing Education
- 4th Ed.
- © Springer Publishing Company, LLC
- Kathleen B. Gaberson PhD, RN, CNOR, CNE, ANEF; Marilyn H. Oermann PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN
- ISBN-10: 0-8261-9555-5 / ISBN-13: 978-0-8261-9555-5
The fourth edition of the "gold standard" for evaluation and testing in nursing education helps educators measure and evaluate the level of learning that their students have achieved and presents fundamental concepts of what constitutes reliable tools for measuring students' classroom and clinical performance. The text presents the concepts of assessment, measurement, evaluation, and testing and explains how to prepare all types of tests including the alternate-format NCLEX test items. It describes how to assemble, administer, and analyze tests and test performance for both classroom and clinical evaluation. The book also provides strategies for evaluating higher cognitive levels of learning and for evaluating written assignments with sample scoring rubrics.
New to the 4th edition:
- • Offers expanded coverage of essential concepts of assessment, evaluation, and testing in nursing education
- • Presents a new chapter on online testing, with and without an online teaching platform such as BlackBoard, standardized online testing packages, establishing valid 'online based testing, and related issues.
- • Updates each chapter with current research and references and new examples
- • Presents stronger focus on evaluating higher-level cognitive functions
- • Updates test preparation for NCLEX and other certification tests
- • Explains how to develop test items that prepare students for licensure and certification exams, including discussion of innovative items being piloted for possible use on the NCLEX
- • Provides expanded coverage on establishing rubrics for assessing written assignments
- • Includes new information on using simulation for "High Stakes Testing"
- • Offers online teaching guide that includes PowerPoint slides, sample core syllabus, and learner activities
- • Presents the gold standard for evaluation and testing in nursing education
- • Firmly grounded in concepts of assessment, measurement, evaluation, and testing across all levels of nursing education
- • Provides guidelines for writing all types of test items (including NCLEX alternate format test items), scoring, and analyzing tests
- • Provides valid evaluation methods for both classroom and clinical evaluation
- • Meets NLN Certification Competency #3: Use Assessment & Evaluation Strategies (15% of CNE Test BluePrint)
Specialty Score: 2.4 Nursing - Education
Go to Doody's Review page
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This book should be required reading for all educators! It is necessary for educators to keep pace with the changing dynamics of learners and this book provides insights into how to achieve this goal."
-- Viki Hedderick, DEd, MSN, BSN (Edinboro University of Pennsylvania)
"Without question, this book should be on every nurse educator's bookshelf."
-- Nursing Education Perspectives Doody's Review - previous Edition
"An invaluable resource for theoretical and practical application of evaluation and testing of clinical nursing students. Graduate students and veteran nurses preparing for their roles as nurse educators will want to add this book to their library."
-- Doody's Review - previous Edition
"...has again given us philosophical, theoretical and social/ethical frameworks for understanding assessment and measurement, as well as fundamental knowledge to develop evaluation tools for individual students and academic programs."
-- Nancy F. Langston, PhD, RN, FAAN Dean and Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing - previous edition
The audience includes all levels of nurse educators, from novices to more seasoned faculty. It is also a great learning tool for those entering the field of education.