ADA Practical Guide to Patients with Medical Conditions, The
- 2nd Ed.
- © John Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Lauren L. Patton DDS; Michael Glick MD, FDS RCS (Edin)
- ISBN 10: 1-118-92440-1 / ISBN 13: 978-1-118-92440-2
- eISBN-13: 978-1-118-92926-1
With new medications, medical therapies, and increasing numbers of older and medically complex patients seeking dental care, all dentists, hygienists, and students must understand the intersection of common diseases, medical management, and dental management to coordinate and deliver safe care.
This new second edition of The ADA Practical Guide to Patients with Medical Conditions updates all of the protocols and guidelines for treatment and medications and adds more information to aid with patient medical assessments, and clearly organizes individual conditions under three headings: background, medical management, and dental management. Written by more than 25 expert academics and clinicians, this evidence-based guide takes a patient-focused approach to help you deliver safe, coordinated oral health care for patients with medical conditions.
Other sections contain disease descriptions, pathogenesis, coordination of care between the dentist and physician, and key questions to ask the patient and physician.
Key features include:
- • Coverage of clinical topics including: Cardiovascular Disease, Pulmonary Disease, Endocrine Disorders, Bleeding Disorders, Neurologic Disorders, Neurodevelopmental and Psychiatric Disorders, Geriatric Health and Functional Issues, Neurodevelopmental and Psychiatric Disorders, HIV/AIDS and Related Conditions, and more
- • Identification of risks related to hemostasis, susceptibility to infection, drug actions/interactions, and ability to tolerate dental care, specific to the patient’s medical condition
- • More than 75 summary tables to help you digest vital information
- • Quick reference points and guides to key dental care issues in each chapter
- • A new chapter on medical screening assessment in a dental setting and biomedical screening tests performed by oral health care professionals
- • Six-month access to the ICE Medical Support System website, offering point-of-care medical information to provide quality care to medically compromised patients
Specialty Score: 2.4 Health Sciences - Dental Auxiliaries
Go to Doody's Review page