Breastfeeding Handbook for Physicians
- 2nd Ed.
- © American Academy of Pediatrics
- Richard J. Schanler MD, FAAP, FABM
- ISBN-10: 1-58110-804-4 / ISBN-13: 978-1-58110-804-0
- eISBN: 978-1-58110-805-7
- Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology
The new Breastfeeding Handbook for Physicians, 2nd Edition is an essential one-stop guide to the latest and best in breastfeeding management, support, education, and advocacy. Jointly developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), with additional critical review by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), it features contributions from distinguished experts.
Health professionals across your practice will use this convenient resource again and again as a quick-access clinical problem-solver and an efficient teaching and learning aid.
The 2nd edition is replete with practice-focused advice based on frontline clinical experience and current research.
- • Anatomy and lactation physiology
- • Breastfeeding benefits
- • Management and support how-to's
- • Breastfeeding techniques
- • Lactation-support technology
- • Risk factors and contraindications
- • Feeding patterns
- • Relactation
- • Complementary feeding
- • Medication issues
- • Contraception issues
- • Nursing refusal
- • Insufficient milk syndrome
- • Weaning
- • Counseling recommendations
- • Breastfeeding resources
New in the 2nd Edition:
- • All-new chapters: The unique benefits of breast milk for preterm infants; breastfeeding issues during disasters
- • Expanded how-to's for a breastfeeding-friendly office environment
- • The latest AAP and ACOG policies
- • Revised preventive healthcare checklists
- • Coverage of recent national initiatives: 2011 Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding; Updated Healthy People 2020 targets for breastfeeding; provisions of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that promote and support breastfeeding
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"It is a valuable contribution in a subject area that is overlooked during medical education and the book meets the authors' objectives of providing a much-needed clinical resource."
-- Sunny Hallowell, PhD, PPCNP-BC, (University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing)Doody's Review
Although designed for physicians, the book can be used by other health professionals, including midwives, nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, and lactation specialists. A rich cadre of medical experts contributed to this evidence-based and up-to-date book.