Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians with Workbook
Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians
- © American Society of Health-System Pharmacists®
- ISBN-10: 1-58528-383-5
- Mary Ann Stuhan, PharmD, RPh
- ISBN-10: 1-58528-229-4 / ISBN-13: 978-1-58528-229-6 / ISBN-13: 978-1-58528-383-5
This textbook provides a basis of pharmacology for pharmacy technicians. Throughout Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians, anatomy and physiology are discussed in relation to various disorders and associated pharmacotherapies to give the pharmacy technician students a context for how drugs work. Students using this text will learn the therapeutic effects of prescription medications, nonprescription medications, and alternative therapies commonly used to treat diseases affecting that system, and their adverse effects.
An emphasis is placed on practical applications for the technician. What types of issues will technicians encounter at work? What is their role in patient education? How do they work with the pharmacist?
Key Features throughout the book include:
- • Cases to open each chapter, along with questions for discussion
- • Pronunciations for difficult terms or words such as disease names
- • Figures and illustrations
- • Alerts that point out areas of potential dangers or errors, including look-alike/sound-alike drugs
- • Practice points, including mention of any FDA-required patient medication guides, and any “special” drug storage and dispensing considerations, including beyond-use dating of open multi-use products
- • Commonly used and comprehensive drug tables
- • Chapter review questions
The book’s content is written to meet ASHP accreditation standards and therefore is one of the most comprehensive books on the market related to pharmacology for technicians.
The combined companion workbook to Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians contains additional exercises and assessment activities for every chapter. There are more than 1,200 exercises that can be used by individual students and pharmacy technicians for self-assessment in conjunction with the Understanding Pharmacology, or used in class by instructors for extra practice and activities.
Inside you will find countless exercises such as:
- • 286 true/false
- • 748 matching
- • 137 short answer
- • 29 drug monograph questions
- • 19 fill-in-the-blanks
Key concepts and pronunciations, along with the names, indications, and routes of administration of the medications covered in each chapter are emphasized throughout the workbook.
Learning all the drugs contained in Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians, along with their actions and the terminology associated with the disease states can seem like an overwhelming task. The Workbook for Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians has been designed to guide and assist students and pharmacy technicians toward mastering pharmacology practice.
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This book is well done. It is written at a higher level than other pharmacy/pharmacology books, which I consider to be an advantage. It is pleasing to read and is a very complete, useful reference."
-- Lawrence Carey, BS, PharmD (Temple University School of Pharmacy) Doody's Review
Although specifically targeted at pharmacy technicians, this book has the potential to help other audiences as well, such as LPNs, medical coders, and medical assistants. The author, the director of a technician program, is certainly credible, qualified, and knowledgeable about what technicians need to know.