Intelligent Clinician's Guide to the DSM-5®, The, Revised
- 2nd Ed.
- © Oxford University Press
- Joel Paris MD
- ISBN-10: 0-19-939509-8 / ISBN-13: 978-0-19-939509-5
- Psychiatry, Public Health
The Intelligent Clinician's Guide to the DSM-5® is the second edition of the widely-read book first published in 2013. This second edition is thoroughly revised, and has several new chapters describing the response to the publication of the new manual, as well as suggestions on its use in clinical practice.
The Intelligent Clinician's Guide to the DSM-5®, Second Edition reviews the history of diagnosis in psychiatry, emphasizing the limitations for classification of our current lack of knowledge of the causes of most mental disorders. It emphasizes that, in the absence of biomarkers, current categories can only be considered provisional. It takes a critical look at schema for spectra and dimensionaliztion of diagnosis, examines the borders between normality and psychopathology, and discusses the problem of clinical utility. The book has chapters on all the major diagnoses in psychiatry, in which the main problems of diagnosis are addressed, and in which all changes in DSM-5 are described.
- • Provides suggestions on the DSM-5's use in clinical practice
- • Reviews the history of diagnosis in psychiatry
- • Features chapters on all of the major diagnoses in psychiatry
New to this Edition:
- • Contains new chapters on the response to the publication of DSM-5 and DSM-5 in practice
- • Thoroughly revised material reflecting contemporary clinical practice today
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This is an excellent critique of DSM-5 and psychiatry in general. Written in an engaging style, the book draws readers in. Although it is less than 200 pages, it covers the complex changes in DSM-5 thoroughly and objectively.
I highly recommend this book for anyone who will be using the DSM-5."
-- Brett Plyler, M.D. (Northwestern Memorial Hospital) Doody's Review - previous edition
The audience includes anyone who will use the DSM-5 clinically or otherwise.