Zoonoses: Infectious Diseases Transmissible Between Animals and Humans
- 4th Ed.
- © ASM Press
- Alexander von Graevenitz; Hans Gerd Schiefer; Horst Zahner; Peter Kimmig; Rolf Bauerfeind; Tino Schwarz; Werner Slenczka
- ISBN-10: 1-55581-925-7 / ISBN-13: 978-1-55581-925-5
- eISBN-13: 978-1-55581-926-2
- Infectious Diseases, Microbiology
Zoonoses are a persistent threat to global human health.
Today, more than 200 diseases occurring in humans and animals are known to be mutually transmitted. Classic infectious diseases such as rabies, plague, and yellow fever have not been eradicated despite major efforts.
New zoonotic diseases are appearing due to global conditions such as overpopulation, wars, and food scarcity, which facilitate human contact with rodents, stray animals, and their parasites. In addition, humans are unwittingly becoming accidental hosts and new links in an infectious chain by engaging in activities such as survival training, which involves camping in open areas, and consumption of raw or insufficiently cooked food.
Zoonotic infections cause a variety of symptoms that often do not provide clear evidence of a known disease. Zoonoses, Fourth Edition, describes most occurring worldwide zoonoses and facilitates the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of zoonotic infections.
Written by a team of doctors, medical microbiologists and veterinarians, this revised and updated edition—translated from the noted German reference Zoonosen—covers all aspects of the epidemiology and prevention of zoonotic diseases supported by clear descriptions of various illnesses. Specifically, this fourth edition covers zoonoses caused by:
- • viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites
- • infections caused by animal bites
- • infections and intoxications by animal foods
- • iatrogenic transmission of zoonotic pathogens
Zoonoses: Infectious Diseases Transmissible from Animals to Humans is an indispensable reference for both clinicians and laboratorians.
Specialty Score: 2.62 Health Sciences - Infectious Disease
Go to Doody's Review page