Integrative Women's Health
- 2nd Ed.
- © Oxford University Press
- Tieraona Low Dog, MD; Victoria Maizes, MD
- ISBN-10: 0-19-021479-1 / ISBN-13: 978-0-19-021479-1
- eISBN-10: 0-19-021480-5 / eISBN-13: 978-0-19-021480-7
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology
DescriptionDisplay Title: Integrative Women's Health - 2nd Ed. (2015) Sub Title: HTML Description:
Integrative Women's Health remains the only in-depth, broad-based reference on integrative women's health written for health professionals. It helps providers address not only women's reproductive health, but also conditions that manifest differently in women than in men, including cardiovascular disease, arthritis, HIV, depression, and cancer. The text presents the best evidence, in a clinically relevant manner, for the safe and effective use of herbs, vitamins, diet, and mind-body strategies alongside conventional medical treatments. As leading educators in integrative medicine, editors Dr. Maizes and Dr. Low Dog demonstrate how clinicians can implement their recommendations in practice, going beyond practical care to examine how to motivate patients, enhance a health history, and understand the spiritual dimensions of healing. In managing the patient, alternative therapies are never seen as substitutes for mainstream medical care, but always "integrated" into the overall regimen, and always subjected to the best available evidence. New to this second edition are chapters on environmental medicine and women's reproduction, thyroid health, and lesbian health.
From the Weil Integrative Medicine Library
- • The first comprehensive guide on Integrative Women's care written for both health professionals
- • Written by an all-female, internationally known team of authors, giving the book a global perspective
- • Guides clinicians on how to motivate patients, enhance a health history, and understand the spiritual dimensions of healing
New to this Edition
- • Includes new chapters on hypothyroidism; environmental exposures; and lesbian, bisexual, and transgender health
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"I love this book and have recommended it to my students and fellow clinicians. It provides quick, easy, and comprehensive access to health options throughout a women's life cycle, while incorporating the latest information on the most common health concerns of women. It is one of the most comprehensive and nonjudgmental collections of medical information that I've seen to date."
-- Barbara Gosse, MSOM (Northwestern Health Sciences University)Doody's Review
The book is most appropriate for students or clinicians who provide medical care to women. It is a well-researched overview of medical options, both standard and integrative, for the most common maladies for which women seek medical care, and it will be helpful for clinicians in both the integrative aspects of medicine and the standard medical system.