Pediatric Nursing: Caring for Children and Their Families
- 3rd Ed.
- © Delmar
- Barbara L. Mandleco, RN, PhD; Nicki L. Potts, RN, PhD
- ISBN-10: 1-4354-8672-2 / ISBN-13: 978-1-4354-8672-0
- Nursing, Pediatrics
Pediatric Nursing: Caring for Children and Their Families, third edition, offers a dynamic and insightful guide to caring for pediatric clients. The authors embrace a holistic, family-centered approach to the care and nurturing of children in all states of health, exploring healthy growth and development milestones, as well as illness states and chronic conditions. All nursing care is framed within a family context, underscoring the importance of viewing children not just as individuals, but as members of a family. General nursing skills such as assessment, communication, and health promotion are presented within the pediatric framework to help nurses approach children and their families with an authentic, informed understanding of their conditions and needs.
- • Clear, straightforward writing style makes content easy to understand.
- • Growth and Development chapters take a health promotion approach with emphasis on the principles of wellness and injury prevention for each age group.
- • Emphasis on pediatric nursing care within a family context highlights the influence the family has on children's health and illnesses.
- • Strong foundation in evidence-based care including evidence-based practice boxes that break out research studies and ;provide the implications for nursing practice.
- • Cultural considerations throughout the book highlight the impact cultural practices and ethnic variations can have on the nursing care of children.
- • Case studies, skills checklists, frequently asked questions, and other resources are available online for self-paced study and learning.
- • Nursing Case Study/Care Plans which help to strengthen the understanding of the nursing process and exercise critical thinking skills include models for planning patient care, with nursing diagnoses, patient/family goals, nursing interventions/rationales, expected outcomes, and NIC and NOC guidelines.
New to this Edition:
- • Expanded coverage on obesity including topics such as caloric intake, vegetarian diets, cholesterol testing and sedentary lifestyle with a focus on children's healthy eating.
- • Expanded coverage of certain chronic conditions such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis, and asthma.
- • Expanded discussion of ethical theories provides strategies for remaining vigilant while providing nursing care surroundingsuch issues such as minor consent for organ donation and genetic testing.
- • Expanded discussion on circumcision and barriers to immunizations.
- • Includes current research on current topics such as attention-deficit disorder, depressive disorder, and drug use.
- • Expanded coverage of depression, sleep hygiene, suicide prevention OCD behaviors.
- • The resource section at the end of each chapter is expanded to include a description of the function each organization listed plays as well as the URL for that organization.
Specialty Score: 2.6 Nursing - Pediatrics
Go to Doody's Review page