Guide to Culturally Competent Health Care - 3rd Ed. (2014)
- 3rd Ed.
- © F. A. Davis Company
- Larry D. Purnell PhD, RN, FAAN
- ISBN-10: 0-8036-3962-7 / ISBN-13: 978-0-8036-3962-1
- Ethics, Nursing, Public Health
Be prepared for the culturally rich and diverse world of healthcare!
This concise, easy-to-read handbook prepares you to relate to individuals from different cultures. Use it in class and clinical now and as a reference throughout your career.
The Purnell Model is your guide as you explore 34 different cultures and the issues that you need to be sensitive to…including cultural variations regarding personal space, dietary preferences, communication, symptom management, activities of daily living, and religious and health practices.
- • Discusses the Purnell Model’s 12 domains of Culturally Competent Care and examines how they apply to all ethnic groups.
- • Highlights specific instructions, guidelines, tips, warnings, intervention strategies, and approaches.
- • Includes a language translator.
New to this Edition
- • NEW! Four brand-new chapters…Barriers to Culturally Competent Health Care, Nigerian, Polish, and Thai.
- • REVISED & ENHANCED! Significantly revised chapters…Amercian Indian/Alaska Native and Asian Indian.
- • NEW! Bibliography that lists the author’s research and reference sources.
- • NEW! Assessment Application Checklist online at DavisPlus to help readers apply Purnell’s Model for Cultural Competence to clinical practice.
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"I love this little book. It gives the important information in bulleted lists. It includes a greater number of cultural groups than many larger texts. Students would be wise to get this as a reference in the first healthcare course and reference it throughout their education. It would be useful on the shelf of every healthcare area."
-- Penny Moore, RNC, PhD (Southwestern Adventist University) Doody's Review
Several times the authors mention the intended audience as healthcare providers. As an educator, I see this book as a great supplementary text for students in healthcare professions. Much in this book helped me understand students in the classroom. One of the authors, Larry D. Purnell, is the creator of the model upon which the book is based.