Oxford Textbook of Medicine
- 5th Ed.
- © Oxford University Press
- David A. Warrell; John D. Firth; Timothy M. Cox
- 0-19-920485-3 / 978-0-19-920485-4
- Internal Medicine
The Oxford Textbook of Medicine is the foremost international textbook of medicine. Unrivaled in its coverage of the scientific aspects and clinical practice of internal medicine and its subspecialties, it is a fixture in the offices and wards of physicians around the world. More comprehensive, more authoritative, and more international than any other textbook, it focuses on offering practical guidance on clinical management and the prevention of disease.
Three introductory chapters outline a philosophy which has always characterized the Oxford Textbook of Medicine. It is humane, thought-provoking, and aims to instill in readers an understanding of the role of medicine in society, and the contribution it can make to the health of populations.
As always, there is detailed coverage of all areas of internal medicine. The integration of basic science and clinical practice is unparalleled and throughout the book the implications of research for medical practice are explained. The core clinical medicine sections offer in-depth coverage of the traditional specialty areas. The Oxford Textbook of Medicine has unsurpassed details on infectious diseases: the most comprehensive coverage to be found in any textbook of medicine. Other sections of note include: pain; bioterrorism; forensic medicine; medical disorders in pregnancy; travel and expedition medicine; nutrition; the use of stem cells; regenerative medicine, and psychiatry and drug-related problems in general medical practice.
In response to detailed research, there have been substantial changes to ensure that the Oxford Textbook of Medicine continues to meet the needs of its readers. New chapter summaries give accessible overviews of the content. All 2,500 illustrations and photographs are now in full color, and a new design ensures that the textbook is easy to read and to navigate. The evidence-base and references have been entirely overhauled.
- • The very best in international medicine from 600 of the world's greatest clinicians and medical scientists
- • Unparalleled integration of basic science and clinical practice, covering all areas of internal medicine in detail
- • The most comprehensive coverage of infectious diseases to be found in any textbook of medicine, along with unique sections on the foundations, achievements and limitations of modern medicine and global patterns of disease
- • Clear, accessible writing and memorable descriptions, enhanced by more 2,500 full colour illustrations and photographs