Reichel's Care of the Elderly: Clinical Aspects of Aging
- 7th Ed.
- © Cambridge University Press
- Christine Arenson MD; Jan Busby-Whitehead MD, CMD, AGSF
- ISBN-10: 1-10705-494-X / ISBN-13: 978-1-10705-494-3
- eISBN-10: 1-10729-496-7 / eISBN-13: 978-1-10729-496-7
- Geriatric Medicine, Family Practice
This fully updated seventh edition remains the pioneering text for practicing physicians and allied health staff confronted with the unique problems of an increasing elderly population. Dr Reichel's formative text is designed as a practical and useful guide for all health specialists. Emphasizing the clinical management of the elderly patient with simple to complex problems, this is a must-read for all practitioners who need practical and relevant information in a comprehensive format. Chapters have been updated and re-organized to reflect the clinical approach to aging, beginning with a general approach to the management of older adults, followed by a review of common geriatric syndromes, and proceeding to an organ-based review of care. The final section addresses principles of care, including care in special situations, psycho-social aspects of our aging society, and organization of care. Particular emphasis is placed on cost-effective, patient-centered care, including a discussion of the Choosing Wisely campaign.
- • Emphasizes compassionate care, continuity of care, respect for the inherent dignity and worth of the aged individual, and the integration of the biopsychosocial-spiritual model
- • Continues the tradition of speaking to the practitioner and the student or resident, with an emphasis on providing information that is relevant and meaningful at the point of care
- • Succeeds in updating the reader on the many advances and the continuing expansion of knowledge
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"I really like this book. The humanism that infused Dr. Reichel's original work shines through in this edition as well. Each author cares deeply about caring for older persons and clearly states how our current knowledge of gerontology and geriatrics ought to be applied day in and day out. The editors have done a marvelous job of editing so that there is an even style and tone throughout, which makes this book a pleasure to read. Many healthcare professionals should savor this most useful contribution to the literature of geriatric medicine."
-- David Staats, MD (University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center) Doody's Review
The audience ranges from medical students to practicing physicians and also includes allied health professionals seeking practical and relevant information in a comprehensive format. The authors are all experts in the areas in which they write.