ICD-10-PCS: Procedure Coding System (2017)
- © The National Center for Health Statistics and The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Coding & Classification, Public Health
ICD-10-PCS is the new procedure coding system that is being developed as a replacement for ICD-9-CM, Volume 3.
Version 5010 refers to the revised set of HIPAA transaction standards; adopted to replace the current Version 4010/4010A standards. Every standard has been updated, from claims to eligibility to referral authorizations.
ICD-10-PCS and GEMs (2013)
The 2013 ICD-10-PCS files below contain information on the new procedure coding system, ICD-10-PCS, that is being developed as a replacement for ICD-9-CM, Volume 3.
- • 2013 Official ICD-10-PCS Coding Guidelines
- • 2013 Version - What's New
- • 2013 Development of the ICD-10 Procedure Coding System (ICD-10-PCS)
- • 2013 ICD-10-PCS Reference Manual and Slides
- • Final Addenda New Codes
- • Final Addenda Deleted Codes
- • Version 5010: Testing Readiness, What You Need to Know
- • Talking to Your Vendors About ICD-10 and Version 5010
Version 5010 Email Updates
Sign up to receive the email update messages and check out the recent Version 5010 messages:
- • Version 5010 Level II Compliance: Do You Know What to Do?
- • Version 5010 Testing Week Results
- • Version 5010 Testing is Critical to a Successful Transition
- • Helping Planning for Version 5010 and ICD-10 is Available from CMS
- • The Version 5010 Transition is Four Months Away- Are You Ready?
- • Results from National Version 5010 Testing Day Now Available
Responses to Technical Comments about Version 5010
The Responses to Technical Comments on Version 5010 document is a compilation of the technical comments received during the public comment period of the proposed rule to adopt modifications to the HIPAA Standards; specifically, Version 5010 of the X12 standard. The document includes the analysis and responses from subject matter experts affiliated with the Standards Development Organization (X12).
On-going education and implementation assistance for Version 5010 is available from many professional organizations and associations. Visit the Related Links Outside CMS section below for the latest information and tools to help you prepare for the Version 5010 transition.
ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project: This section provides information on the project for using the General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs) to convert the MS-DRGs v26.0 to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. Information is also provided on undertaking a similar conversion project.
The Final ICD-10 MS-DRG logic will be subject to rulemaking.
- • Converting MS-DRGs to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- • Partial Freeze of ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 Codes
- • ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project Slides
- • ICD-10 Medicare Code Editor v27 (MCE v27) User's Manual
- • ICD-10 MS-DRG v28 R1 Definitions manual (updated October 4, 2011) - Text Version
- • ICD-10-CM/PCS MS-DRGv28 Definitions Manual Table of Contents - Full Titles - Text Version
Download the ICD 10 Conversion Tools PDF