Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nursing: Integrating Psychotherapy, Psychopharmacology, and Complementary and Alternative Approaches
- 2nd Ed.
- © Springer Publishing Company, LLC
- Joyce J. Fitzpatrick PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN; Kathleen R. Tusaie PhD, PMHCNS/NP-BC
- ISBN-10: 0-8261-3253-7 / ISBN-13: 978-0-8261-3253-6
- eISBN-10: 0-8261-3252-9 / eISBN-13: 978-0-8261-3252-9
- Nursing, Psychiatry
This text reinvigorates the emphasis on the therapeutic relationship that is the core of nursing practice. It also relies on our strong history as therapists and introduces a need for integration of all aspects of care, a true holistic approach that characterizes the nursing perspective...The book should serve as a review for nurses who are studying for certification exams [and is] very useful for coursework in DNP programs as well as the masters programs in psychiatric mental health nursing.
-- Grayce M. Sills, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor Emerita, Ohio State University
From the Foreword:
Now in its second edition, this groundbreaking text and reference continues to be the only resource for APRNs to focus on integrative interventions for individuals with mental health problems across the lifespan. Combining theory and practice, it provides a clear framework for integrating psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) into advanced practice nursing. The second edition is thoroughly updated to reflect current research, new classifications in DSM 5, genetic testing, and increased use of tele mental health delivery. It builds upon its life span focus and updates quick-access pediatric pointers and aging alerts. Additionally, the resource incorporates the 2014 publication of the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice for Psychiatric Nurses, offers a new focus on QSEN requirements, and responds to the need to reduce health disparities and address cultural considerations.
Organized around psychiatric syndromes, the text covers neurobiology, theory and research evidence related to psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and CAM interventions. It provides a virtual buffet of clear treatment options in the form of well-designed decision trees and accompanying explanatory narratives. The text also includes a section on such special considerations as substance misuse, medical problems, pregnancy, and forensic issues that often co-occur with psychiatric syndromes. Concise, clear language and abundant charts, graphs, and algorithms enhance the books’ value in supporting sound clinical reasoning.
New to the Second Edition:
- • Thoroughly updated, evidence-based content
- • Encompasses new research
- • Presents three completely new chapters on Integrative Management of Impulse Control, Telehealth, and Quality Improvement and Evidence-Based Practice
- • Includes the expertise of new contributors
- • Reflects DSM 5 updates, ANA Standard of Practice for Psychiatric Nurses, and QSEN standards
- • Updates quick-access Pediatric Pointers and Aging Alerts
- • Integrates theory and practice
- • Simplifies complex concepts using clear language while retaining depth of information
- • Supports clinical decision-making skills through easy-to-follow Decision Trees
- • Organized around psychiatric syndromes
- • Edited by internationally acclaimed practitioner/educators
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"This is an important book for advanced practice psychiatric nurses. It presents options that have not been readily available for the treatment of complex clients and provides overviews and instructions for integrating alternative and traditional therapies for psychiatric patients."
-- Cherie Howk, PhD, FNP-BC (Indiana State University) - Doody's Review - previous edition
"This text is a wonderful compilation of information that is needed within current advanced practice psychiatric mental health nursing. The chapters are informative, have excellent references and provide up to the minute information that is grounded in evidence-based practices"
-- Barbara Jones Warren, PhD, RN, CNS-BC, PMH, FAAN - The Ohio State College of Nursing - previous edition
"There are few new books to direct PMH-APRN treatment options...Now, this book provides the path to integration of treatment options for the holistic care of psychiatric client by PMH-APRNs"
-- Doody's Medical Reviews
This title is written for and by PMH-APRNs in direct patient care. In addition to serving as a classroom textbook, it is also set up to be used as a study guide for those preparing for certification. The editors and authors of each section are experts in this field.