Critical Thinking in Patient Care
- 5th Ed.
- © Pearson Education, Inc.
- Priscilla LeMone, RN, DSN, FAAN, Karen Burke, RN, MS & Gerene Bauldoff, RN, PhD, FAAN
- 0135075947 / 9780135075944
- Nursing, Surgery
Appropriate for courses in Medical Surgical Nursing
Medical-Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking in Patient Care, 5th edition has been revised and updated to provide the knowledge and skills needed to care for adult patients to promote health, facilitate recovery from illness and injury, and provide support when coping with disability or loss. Throughout the text, the authors make every effort to communicate that both nurses and patients may be male or female; and that patients require holistic, individualized care regardless of their age; gender; or racial, cultural, or socioeconomic background. The goal of the fifth edition is to provide the knowledge and resources that ensure a solid base for critical thinking and clinical judgment and that can be applied to provide safe, individualized, and competent clinical nursing care. Multiple learning strategies have been developed to facilitate success—audio, illustrations, teaching tips, and video and animation media. Understandable language and a consistent format are used, and students overwhelmingly report that they actually like reading the text.
As with every edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking in Patient Care, Priscilla LeMone, Karen Burke and Gerene Bauldoff have maintained a clear vision in the 5th edition which includes:
- • A strong focus on nursing care as the essential element in learning and doing nursing, regardless of the gender, age, race, culture, or socioeconomic background of the patient of the setting for care
- • Providing a balance of pathophysiology, pharmacology, and interdisciplinary care to support dependent, interdependent, and independent nursing interventions
- • Emphasis on the nurse’s role as a caregiver, educator, advocate, leader and manager, and as an essential member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team
- • The use of functional health patterns and the nursing process as the structure for providing nursing care in today’s world by prioritizing nursing diagnoses and interventions specific to altered responses to illness
- • Fostering critical thinking and decision-making skills as the basis for safe, knowledgeable, individualized clinical practice
- • Pathophysiology illustrated: The 3-D art brings the content to life—visual illustrations of disease processes make processes easy to visualize.
- • Pathophysiology Linkages: Tables that show the relationships between specific disease pathophysiologies and resulting clinical manifestations.
- • Diagnostic Tests: The 3-column tables summarize information about key diagnostic tests for each body system.
- • Functional Health Pattern Assessment: Health history questions are described for the functional health patterns related to each unit.
- • Genetic Considerations: For each unit, this feature lists genetic issues related to the body system.
- • Moving Evidence into Action Boxes: Focus on research into specific topics and how the research relates to current nursing care.
- • Evidence for Nursing Care Boxes: Provide resources for additional review in applying evidence to practice.
- • Medication Administration: Drugs appropriate for the chapter disorders are featured, as well as the related nursing responsibilities and client/family teaching.
- • Nursing Care of the Older Adult: Provides essential guidelines for caring for older adults.
- • Nursing Care of the Client...: Essential information needed for nursing care of various disorders is described-- detailed illustrations help students understand the steps of the nursing process.
- • Two-Column Case Study and Nursing Care Plan: Includes Assessment, Diagnoses, Expected Outcomes, Planning and Implementation, Evaluation, and Critical Thinking in the Nursing Process.
- • End of Chapter NCLEX-RN Test Yourself: NCLEX-style review questions reinforce comprehension of the chapter content.
- • Building Clinical Competence: Appear at the end of each unit, this feature integrates information from the unit chapters and gives readers opportunities to apply what they have learned to simulated clinical situations.
- • Functional Health Pattern Activity: Provides more detail about how the disorders discussed in the unit impact patients’ functional health status.
- • Clinical Scenario: Presents the reader with multiple clients, and the associated questions focus on setting priorities while managing multiple clients.
- • Case Study with Concept Map: Offers readers opportunities to apply specific patient information to the process of concept mapping.
Score/Specialty: 1.8 Nursing - Perioperative
Go to Doody's Review page