Advanced Assessment: Interpreting Findings and Formulating Differential Diagnoses
- 2nd Ed.
- © F. A. Davis
- Mary Jo Goolsby, EdD, MSN, ANP-C, CAE, FAANP & Laurie Grubbs PhD, MSN, ANP-C
- 0803621728 / 9780803621725
- Nursing, Advanced Nursing, Diagnosis, Assessment
The 2nd Edition of this AJN Book of the Year takes readers beyond the identification of physical assessment abnormalities to guide them through the process needed to arrive at a differential diagnosis. Its complaint-focused presentation makes it the perfect point-of-care resource for both classroom and clinical.
Advanced Assessment: Interpreting Findings and Formulating Differential Diagnoses is designed to serve as a textbook during advanced health assessment course work and as a quick reference for practicing clinicians. Studying the text will help students to develop proficiency in performing assessment and interpreting findings and to recognize the range of conditions that can be indicated by specific findings. For practicing clinicians, the text will be an aide to guide the assessment and the narrowing of differential diagnosis.
- • Revised organization and new, two-color design to enhance usability
- • Full-color atlas of dermatology and other findings
- New content on:
- • dry eye
- • nystagmus
- • hiccups
- • fecal incontinence
- • rectal pain
- • atrophy
- • restless legs
- • gait abnormality
- • tic
- • tremor
- • weight gain
- • chronic pain
- • insomnia
- • sleepiness
- More quick-reference features, including:
- • red flags
- • assessment pearls
- • medications causing symptom
- • and selected causes of symptoms
- • Reference lists at the end of all chapters to support evidence-based practice
- • Complaint-focused approach by body system.
- • Step-by-step how-to's for taking a focused history, performing a physical based on presenting complaints/problems, and interpreting the findings.
- • Summaries of specific physical assessment data and their interpretation for each body system.
- • Guidance on selecting and interpreting diagnostic studies as well as prediction rules for specific findings.
- • Lifespan coverage, including children, older adults, and pregnant patients.
Score/Specialty: 2.5 Nursing - Diagnosis/Assessment
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"The purpose is to provide a quick reference for nurse practitioners and to serve as a text for nurse practitioner students who are studying health assessment and need help with assessment and obtaining a differential diagnosis. These worthy objectives are met."
-- Carole Kenner, PhD, MSN, BSN (Northeastern University Bouve College of Health Sciences) Doody's Review - previous edition
The audience includes nurse practitioner students, nurse practitioners and practicing clinicians.