ICD-10-CM: Clinical Modifications (2014)
- © The National Center for Health Statistics
- © The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Coding, Classification
CD-10-CM is the new diagnosis coding system that is being developed as a replacement for ICD-9-CM, Volumes 1 & 2.
This 2014 update of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) is being published by the United States Government in recognition of its responsibility to promulgate this classification throughout the United States for morbidity coding.
ICD-10-CM is the United States' clinical modification of the World Health Organization's ICD-10. The term "clinical" is used to emphasize the modification's intent: to serve as a useful tool in the area of classification of morbidity data for indexing of health records, medical care review, and ambulatory and other health care programs, as well as for basic health statistics. To describe the clinical picture of the patient the codes must be more precise than those needed only for statistical groupings and trend analysis.
Characteristics of ICD-10-CM
ICD-10-CM far exceeds its predecessors in the number of concepts and codes provided. The disease classification has been expanded to include health-related conditions and to provide greater specificity at the sixth and seventh character level. The sixth and seventh characters are not optional and are intended for use in recording the information documented in the clinical record.
The 2014 ICD-10-CM files indicated below contain information on the new diagnosis coding system, ICD-10-CM, that is being developed as a replacement for ICD-9-CM, Volumes 1 and 2.• 2014 ICD-10-CM Guidelines
• 2014 Addenda
• ICD-10 General Equivalence Mappings 2014 Version Update
• Diagnosis Code Set General Equivalence Mappings
• 2014 ICD-10-CM Present on Admission (POA) Exempt List
• 2013 Reimbursement Mappings - Guide and Diagnoses (2014 Reimbursement Mappings - Guide and Diagnoses to be posted Oct. 2013)
• Download our ICD 10 Conversion Tool PDF
ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project:
This section provides information on the project for using the General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs) to convert the MS-DRGs v26.0 to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. Information is also provided on undertaking a similar conversion project.
The Final ICD-10 MS-DRG logic will be subject to rulemaking.
• Partial Freeze of ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 Codes
• ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project Slides
• ICD-10-CM/PCS MS-DRG v30 Definitions Manual Table of Contents - Full Titles - Text Version
• ICD-10 Medicare Code Editor v30 (MCE v30 to be used with v30 Definitions Manual)
• ICD-10-CM/PCS MS-DRG v29 Definitions Manual and MCE
Download the ICD 10 Conversion Tool PDF