Nursing Diagnoses in Psychiatric Nursing: Care Plans and Psychotropic Medications
- 8th Ed.
- © F.A. Davis
- Mary C. Townsend, DSN, APRN, BC
- 0803625065 / 9780803625068
- Nursing, Psychiatry
Here's the 20th Anniversary Edition of the most complete and easy-to-use resource on how to develop practical, individualized plans of care for psychiatric and mental health patients.
It's really 2 books in 1! The first half provides the diagnostic information needed to create a care plan; the second half covers the safe administration of psychotropic medications. And, the concepts can be applied to a variety of healthcare settings…from in-patient hospitalization through the outpatient clinic…to home health and private practice.
Completely revised and updated throughout, the 8th Edition reflects all of the new knowledge and new medications in the field, including an expanded section on psychotropic medications that encompasses all of today's new drugs and the 2009-2011 content in the NANDA Nursing Diagnoses: Taxonomy II.
- • Index of Client Behaviors with page numbers listed on inside covers.
- • Concept Mapping and the use of Care Map Plans introduced in Chapter 1.
- • Organized by DSM-IV and NANDA diagnoses.
- • Nursing diagnoses and interventions include the definition, possible etiologies ("Related to ..."), defining characteristics ("Evidenced by ..."), objectives broken down to show long- and short-term goals, interventions with selected rationales, and desired patient outcomes/discharge criteria.
- • Unit on psychotropic drug classifications covers anti-anxiety agents, antidepressants, antimanic agents, antipsychotics, antiparkinsonian drugs, sedative hypnotics, and central nervous system stimulants.
- • Each drug classification lists background assessment data, predisposing factors, symptomatology, and nursing diagnoses and nursing interventions.
- • Indications, route, and dosage listed for individual drugs as well as for classifications.
- • UPDATED & REVISED! All content, thoroughly revised and updated, reflects the education and practice of nursing today, including the inclusion of new medications and the deletion of discontinued medications.
- • EXPANDED & UPDATED! Section on psychotropic medications includes the addition of medications available since the last edition, and the deletion of those discontinued.
- • EXPANDED! Mental Status Assessment now features the assessment questions.
- • NEW! Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS,) added to the appendix, measures the severity of dyskinesias in patients taking neuroleptic medications.
- • NEW! Clinical Pearl boxes appear in most chapters.
- • REVISED! The chapter, Mood Disorders, is divided into two separate chapters, Mood Disorders: Depression and Mood Disorders: Bipolar Disorders.
- • UPDATED! New 2009-2011 content appears in the NANDA Nursing Diagnoses: Taxonomy II.
- • NEW! The addition of communication interventions in the care plans reflects the new emphasis on therapeutic communication.