ACP PIER & AHFS DI® Essentials™
- ACP PIER: American College of Physicians © 2013 by the American College of Physicians
- AHFS DI® Essentials™: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists® (ASHP) © 2013 by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Inc.®
- Internal medicine, Point-of-care, EBM
PIER Physician's Information Education Resource® is a Web-based decision-support tool designed for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for clinicians.
PIER is a collection of modules divided into five topic types:
- • Diseases
- • Screening and Prevention
- • Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- • Ethical and Legal Issues
- • Procedures
In addition, PIER includes information on Quality Measures relevant to internal medicine.
The disease-based modules are PIER's core. Each module presents a series of succinct guidance statements and practice recommendations, supported by more detailed levels of pertinent rationale and evidence. There are links to abstracts and the full text of carefully selected references; other ACP knowledge resources including its guidelines, MKSAP, Annals of Internal Medicine, and ACP Journal Club; and other resources including PubMed and various Web sites. Tables, figures, algorithms, and video and audio clips are also included.
A disease-based module includes the following sections:
- • Prevention
- • Screening
- • Diagnosis
- • Consultation for Diagnosis
- • Hospitalization
- • Non-drug Therapy
- • Drug Therapy
- • Patient Education
- • Consultation for Management
- • Follow-up
Each disease module includes five standard tables (history and physical examination, laboratory and other studies, differential diagnosis, drug treatment, and elements of follow-up). Additional tables and figures are included as needed.
Each PIER module includes a section of Additional Resources, categorized by Clinical Information, Educational Resources, or Patient Information.
All PIER modules are reviewed periodically by editorial consultants with the aid of comprehensive literature searches. If relevant clinical material is identified for a module, it is added to the text along with new references. More frequent updates are made when warranted by the release of important new studies, drug therapies, and guidelines. Ongoing editorial changes, including adding new references of interest, are done as needed.
AHFS DI® Essentials™ by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists® (ASHP) is designed to offer health professionals easy access to knowledge that is critical at the point of care. Essentials™ monographs draw on the meticulously evidence-based guidelines in the full AHFS DI® database, distilling for the health professional the essential information on prescription and key over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in an easy-to-use, highly structured outline format.
- • Comparative pricing for most Rx and OTC monographs.
- • 'Compatibility' sub-heading under the 'Stability' section within a monograph features Admixture and Y-Site and is perfect for nurses who administer drugs.
- • Essentials™ includes a subset of drugs from the full AHFS DI® database. Drugs were selected from those most widely used in hospital (including most parenteral drugs) and outpatient (including key OTC products) settings, new molecular entities (NMEs) introduced into the US market over the past 6 years, and drugs requiring particular attention for safe use (e.g., those with boxed warnings).
This title updates: Monthly. View latest update here.